"Will Cather once wrote that novelists, actors and physicians have the 'unique and marvelous [experience] of entering into the very skin of another human being'...'You must enter into the person you are describing, into his very skin, and see the world through his eyes and feel in through his senses.'" (Root-Bernstein, 1999, p. 182) This chapter in Root-Bernstein's book "Sparks of Genius" is titled Empathy. That is what the above quotes from the chapter are referring to. I believe that empathy is not simply something for novelists, actors, and physicians to experience, but rather, should be an experience that we all share consistently throughout our lives. The more we can see the world through others eyes, the more well-rounded we become. This idea is something that I need to adopt more in my classroom.
The idea of embodied thinking is something that is used in my classroom quite often. I feel it lends itself well to reinforcing many different topics within science so when it came to thinking of an aspect of my topic (energy transfer) that could be represented by my body, the idea of energy transfer at a molecular level came to mind. All molecules are in constant motion, weather they make up a solid, liquid or gas. This motion is hard to conceptualize for some students, especially molecules that make up a solid. To demonstrate this, I organized all of the students in one of my classes to represent molecules of water in the three phases of matter and filmed them interacting with each other. I put those clips into a movie and added pictures that represent empathetic feelings of how the water molecules may feel as they experience these given phase changes. It was a fun experience. Below is my final product.
No comments:
Post a Comment